The KOII Communiqué November 2015
A Message from the Station Manager…
Community radio is a beautiful thing! It has the power to attract diverse tastes, cultures, and opinions, and offers a platform for voices to be heard that might otherwise remain mute.
Here at Radio Free Flagstaff, it is our mission to offer opportunities for musicians to get air time and to introduce new sounds to our listeners through our radio station KOII, 94.5 FM. We are also dedicated to highlighting good work as well as issues that are relevant to our growing mountain town.
For four years Radio Free Flagstaff has pursued the dream of a downtown Flagstaff community radio station and their efforts have put us on the air! We are currently broadcasting some wonderful programming produced by many dedicated volunteers. Tune in to 94.5 FM and let us know how your signal is coming in.
As the new station manager of KOII 94.5 FM, Radio Free Flagstaff, I have the honor of sharing what is coming up in the future of the station. By hiring me, our fearless Board has put the wheels in motion to begin a four-month project timeline that, when completed, will give us the green light to obtain our FCC license.
To meet the FCC requirements our goals over the next few months will include:
- Locate and move into our own broadcasting station and administrative office;
- Recruit and train 20-40 volunteer DJs to run their own live shows meeting a requirement of 8 hours LIVE broadcast, 5 days a week;
- Purchase and install an emergency alert system in the studio;
- Sign up 400 people as KOII members;
- Stream the broadcast on our website;
- Attract 100 local businesses to support the station through underwriting;
- Continue to engage our audiences with quality local programming and live concert events.
While no small task, I am up for the challenge. How about you? Will you join in the effort to ensure we bring KOII 94.5 FM to its next evolution by volunteering or becoming a member today? You can make a donation or become a member right here on our website. You will also have a chance to become a member at our next fundraising concert on Wednesday, December 16 at the Orpheum Theater where we’ll be celebrating the holiday season with a Christmas Cover Up. Favorite holiday songs will be performed by some of the best local musicians. This is also your opportunity to meet members of our Board, KOII volunteers and supporters, and to find out how YOU can get involved!
Thank you for your support of KOII 94.5FM…YOUR community radio station.